Building the lightest, most stable and best performing ROM (N90II)

Discussion in 'Vido® (YuanDao)' started by AshutoshMN, Apr 28, 2013.

Remove Advertisements
  1. AshutoshMN

AshutoshMN Member

IS IT REALLY WORTH UPGRADING YUANDAO N90II TO THE JELLY BEAN OS?
    THE ANSWER IS BOTH 'YES' AND 'NO' BUT LEANS MORE TOWARDS A 'NO'. SO, WHAT IS THE BEST ICS OR JB. ACCORDING TO ME, EITHER ONE IS NOT PERFECT. EACH ONE HAS SOME UNIQUE FEATURES WHICH MAKE THEM STAND OUT.
    SO, TO MAKE THE BEST ROM, WE NEED TO TAKE OUT BEST FEATURES OF THE TWO AND COMBINE THEM TO FORM A 'HYBRID ROM'. NOW, WHAT DO YOU SAY GUYS?? YEAH, MANY OF YOU WILL FEEL THAT I'M INSANE...THINGS DON'T WORK LIKE THAT!!! BUT, BELIEVE ME IT WILL BE WORTHWHILE TO DISCUSS SUCH A TOPIC...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED...I ASSURE YOU!

So, I'll be discussing here what I felt after flashing a JB firmware onto my N90II_CZ.
    It is an initiation from my side towards building of the best of best ROM for the Yuandao N90II. So, everyone reading is welcome to share their opinion because it is not possible to achieve this task without a team work.

PLEASE, READ TILL THE END. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

Here begins the story...
    I was pretty excited when I received my tab. It's from an Indian Firm 'Iball' and is pronounced as iball SLIDE i9702. After using it for some time and benchmarking, I was impressed with the scores. Quadrant: 4.2k, Antutu: 12.2k, Nenamark2: 48fps. It was running an ICS 4.0.4 with some tweaks from the 'Iball'.
    Later I decided to root this tab and install the latest Android on the device, and who doesn't wants that. So, I searched on the net for some guides specific to this tablet but I couldn't find a single one. Maybe because it was not so popular. Then I checked using the specs, so that I could find some clone tabs. It is based on RK3066 platform. I found many results but none of them was useful. Then, one day I was browsing and finding even the minutest detail I could find for this tab. Someone, on a blog told that it is manufactured by a Chinese manufacturer Yuandao. I searched and found out that Yuandao N90II was having same specs as of mine. I then checked out the pics of the N90II, I was shocked to see that mine was an exact copy of the N90II without a single difference. Everything, the white plastic cover at the backside, placement of buttons, location of front and rear camera, the power button; everything was the same. The only difference was the Yuandao logo. I was having iball logo.

Later, I read many guides on flashing of N90II. But, there was a problem, I had no way to know whether it was a CZ or BZ version because it bears a S/N from the iball and not Yuandao. Then someone had mentioned on a forum that if your Kernel version is 3.0.8+ you have a CZ version. But, that was not a very promising answer. So, I took the risk and flashed a CZ version firmware based on JB. Viola! It worked and I felt like I had achieved something great as I hadn't done anything like this before. But, I used to see my brother doing such kind of things on his device. He has just released a CUSTOM ROM based on LEWA OS (http://goo.gl/eiA1e) on xda for Micromax A89 mobile device very popular in India.

Anyways, after this successful flashing, I wanted to check whether each and every feature was working correctly or not because I had some doubt that I could have a BZ version as people on various forums were saying, if you flash a wrong version...you may have problems like...touch screen not working, wrong battery calibration, no brightness adjustment, g-sensor not working, etc.
    So, I checked everything and got assured that I have a CZ one. Next thing was to do some benchmarks...I did but the result was disappointing. There was a huge drop in performance as compared to my previous ICS. I then got to know that, I had flashed some old firmware of JB. So, I downloaded the latest one which I think is 2013_0110 at the time of writing this.

Again, after flashing this latest JB firmware, I experienced some best things. Touch sensitivity had improved to a great extent. Now, just hovering your finger a few mm above and not actually touching the screen recorded a response. Also, battery life had extended to a huge amount. The reason may be because it goes into a deep sleep thus saving battery life. But, not everything was appealing. I could experience the lag in the UI while I switch between screens, while scrolling, while switching between apps and while doing any other job in the UI. It was not that smooth as I experienced in ICS. Regardless of this, I decided to do some benchmarks, and the results are as follows:
    Quadrant:- 4.5k (improvement of 200 from ICS)
    Antutu:- 11.5k (decrement of 700 from ICS)
    Nenamark2:- 57fps (increment of 9 ICS)

I then ran some games and stuff. But, the result was a complete disappoint. Games were lagging though they were playable. But, as compared to ICS OS it was not that great feeling. So, I decided to go back to the ICS. I searched a lot and finally found original firmware from Yuandao which is N902(1G)_v12_update_0711-CZ. After flashing it and running the benchmarks, I got following results:

Quadrant:- 4.4k
    Antutu:- 12.2k
    Nenamark2:- 57fps

After seeing these results, nothing else I could wish for. Now, was the time for testing games and stuff. WOW! everything worked like a charm and was super smooth!
    Also, I found a custom ROM based on ICS 0707 which is a CFW VonDroid N90II-CZ v1.0. I flashed it too. It also got me the same bench scores as the 0711 original firmware. But, the G-sensor was not working. I couldn't make it out why was it so. Clearly, it stated that it was for CZ version and mine's is a CZ too! Anyways, I re-flashed it to 0711 original ROM.

Here's the hard work begins...

Now what I've learnt from this experience is that JB is not the best option if you want performance out of your device. I think no one has ever noticed it before. Every one wants to upgrade to the higher version of the android. But, things don't always work like that. I don't know what may be reason for various deficits in the JB which make it super laggy. But, there are some nice features like good touch response...extended battery life...wifi wakeup problems sorted out, etc. which can't be ignored.

So, what we need to do is build a ROM which we will call 'HYBRID-ICS' (or anything you suggest) coz the major portion will be based on ICS only. We have a base of ICS lets take 0711 original firmware from Yuandao (Please, tell if a more latest ICS version than 0711 is available). Now, we will be adding features from the CFW VonDroid N90II-CZ v1.0 which you can see here: http://goo.gl/wS2St
    Also, we need to change default lang to English, remove all chinese apps and a ton of other things.
    Some of these are...rooting, optimizing build.prop, gameloft fix, update flash, maps, etc.

From, JB latest firmware we need to copy and replace files into this ICS which is responsible for improved touch sensitivity, wifi wake-up sorting out, deep sleep to save battery. These 2-3 features only from JB need to be added and nothing else. Becoz, adding more and more features may cause in-stability and performance issues.
    I'm not a pro so I don't know how to do this. I leave it on you guys from here onwards...

Remember guys, we need to make a lightest version with no unnecessary stuff added. Also, it would be nice to keep it close to stock as possible. We don't want to add things like ES Explore or something like a music player or anything. Since these things a user can easily install later on according to his choice and need.

Now, I need you to discuss the ways to do it from how to unpack a .img firmware file under windows, install tweaks, which all files need to be edited or replaced, repack the image and so on. I'll be doing a testing based on the methods you will discuss here.

Tuen what do you think buddy?

2. Tuen

Tuen Staff Member Administrator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    the best way to unpack a firmware is using linux.. why? because there are some linked files that only works on unix platform. on windows it will break the link, with result not working...

AshutoshMN likes this.
  3. smokieg

smokieg Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    looks like it might be doable with windows now from what i have tried to read over at 4pda using google translation thanks to SergioPoverony ;)

RK30xx Firmware Tools by SergioPoverony (version.3)
    Source:http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=359410&st=640#entry21484197

2869700.png

it looks like it unpacks the firmware then is able to extract the system.img for editing and can then repack from the GUI, and possibly edit the boot.img also.
    I haven't downloaded due to no 4pda account but i think it's what your looking for so you can cook your own rom

AshutoshMN likes this.
  4. lestillo

lestillo Member

Tablet:
    Window n90 II
    Hi everyone!!! I don't know if all this finished in nothing because of the answers;-(.
    First thing is that I think like you AshutoshMNed. I was working with lots of roms, also from differents rk3066 tablets!!!. I used them to adapt it to our window N90II. You have some instances here:

http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=504875 (sorry is in spanish)

At the end of the first post you can see the roms I have customized. Also I got a 4.2.2 firm adapted from a vondroid firm!!!
    In some roms I had to mix parts of differents Roms.
    Talking about Poverony tool, I can say that is wonderful to have everything over windows but it has one bug that is: you got a system folder that is unwrittable as root under android.
    Rgrds.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
Remove Advertisements