Custom Firmware Finless 1.7 ROM [1080p][OC][Root]

Discussion in 'MK809' started by bothlyn, Jan 25, 2013.

Remove Advertisements
  1. bothlyn

bothlyn Member

Tablet:
    mk809 google tv
    Phone:
    motorola xoom
    Hey there Guys,

You might like to know that the Finless 1.7 ROM for UG802 works perfectly with the mk809.

Installation procedure is a little different for mk809.

Ignore the UG802 procedure to get to flash mode, instead do this:

1/ Follow driver installation procedure from my root guide
    2/ Install the adb from my root guide
    3/ Finless install says do not enable USB debugging, ignore this you need it for the next bit
    4/ adb reboot bootloader
    5/ Follow the rest of the Finless guide for ROM config and installation

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread....-1080-and-overclock-AND-best-performance-ever!

I'm currently running the 720p kernel with 1275/466 overclock. It's noticeably slicker than the stock ROM.

Edit:
    There seem to be some network stability issues, but I have been tweaking build.prop and autokiller. Going back to basics and will update later on progress

Update:
    Seems that my GT-I9100 build.prop tweaks caused the problem. Back to stable condition.

Enjoy!

If anyone heatsinks their processor and tries the 1600 over clock then post and let us know if you are stable!

Piers likes this.
  2. Piers

Piers Staff Member Administrator

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    All FT firmware will soon be again hosted on VonDroid - we're the only forum which was allowed to do so but due to reasons out of my control I was unable to chat with Bob for a few months. Will make an announcement once I've spoken to him again to confirm it's OK.

3. mrkus21

mrkus21 Administrator Global Moderator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    If we have Permission, I will upload the ROMs to our different TV Sticks soon.
    ;)

4. Anthony

Anthony Member

I have tried the PC Flash way again. It does not work. I get to the bit where you open a command window and type 'adb reboot bootloader'. The mk809 seems to power off and stay off. The flash tool just says 'Found RKAndroid Rock USB'. Somebody take pity and please help!

5. bothlyn

bothlyn Member

Tablet:
    mk809 google tv
    Phone:
    motorola xoom
    This is normal there is no video from bootloader. Just keep going, the driver has found the device.

6. Anthony

Anthony Member

Whoops. I meant to say that the flash program says 'NOT Found RKAndroid Rock USB'. What am I doing wrong? Driving myself bonkers trying to get this working! Can't even do the easy sd card update method as there is no update.zip file!

7. Anthony

Anthony Member

How do I do the easier SD Card update.zip method? I am not fussed about app space.

8. bothlyn

bothlyn Member

Tablet:
    mk809 google tv
    Phone:
    motorola xoom
    Simply put update.zip onto the sd card. But thus will only work of coming from an older finless. You could try the rockchip support driver from mk809.com flash recovery

9. Anthony

Anthony Member

There is no update.zip in the download though! Thank you for your guidance though. Much appreciated.

10. marc Delanghe

marc Delanghe Member

I had to reflash the standard kernel, because with the overclocked one, the sound was really bad

11. marc Delanghe

marc Delanghe Member

1 more remark, the recovery image doesn't work.
    When I reboot to recovery , I get the android bot with the red Triangle.
    When I load the Recovery Image from Picuntu, It boots to busybox without the sd or to Picuntu with, so.... sugestions?
    Keep this one?
    Is there another one, that boots the 2 partition ext2/ext4 approach that is often used ?

12. Messy Robot

Messy Robot Member

Had a real struggle getting Finless 1.7 to flash onto my MK809 using a Windows 8 laptop. Finally did it last night - well chuffed. Going to play with it tonight to check performance. Anyway, for others struggling with Windows 8 - here is how it worked for me.

1. Downloaded the Android SDK. Wasn't sure what I needed or didn't need, so downloaded the full ADT bundle. Placed folder in the root of my C: drive, and edited the inf file as recommended then hit the first snag. Guidance was to make sure you run the SDK at least once, and according to the google site, you do this by running the 'eclipse' programme. Couldn't get it to run at all - kept complaining about Java. After some googling, I downloaded the Java Development Kit, and edited the environment variables, but still couldn't get eclipse to run.

2. Gave up on that. Downloaded the PDA programme and ran that. It did something, but when I went to the 'platform tools' folder of the android SDK and opened a command window there (shift right-click - choose open command window here) to test adb - it kept returning device not found. So gave up on that next.

3. Oh well - following the advice - I then tried the TP Sarky route from link 2. If you follow the link, somebody has already posted a corrected version of the .bat file. I replaced the file - and with usb debugging connected, just ran the batch file - didn't open a shell or anything - just ran it and followed instructions. It rooted the stick without any issues! Progress - now have a rooted stick! Back to seeing if I could get Finless to work.

4. Rebooted the laptop with device driver signing switched off. Following guide elsewhere - added a new file called c:\Users\[Your Login Name]\.android\adb_usb.ini
    In this new file put just one line which says
    Code:
    0x2207

5. Opened device manager (windows key - X, select device manager) choose the Android Phone device at the top of the list and went to update driver. You need to select the option - can't remember the exact words - but it something like choose from compatible drivers on my machine. If you try the other option and just browse, it doesn't let you install anything -just says 'best driver already installed.' It doesn't find anything, but on that screen there is an option 'Have disk' Clicked that, browsed to the edited inf file in the Android SDK folder - and it installed!

6. Back to testing adb. Browsed back to the platform tools folder in the android SDK and opened another command window. Typing "adb shell" changed the text to something like "root 1" but when I tested adb devices - hoping for it to return the device ID nothing happened. Just about to give up again - and on the off chance typed "adb reboot bootloader" - and it worked! My MK809 was hooked up to my telly as well - and the screen went black - so I knew it was in flash mode. I had already downloaded and unzipped the Finless rom package - so just followed the instructions in the readme text from there and used the flash tool. Finless 1.7 now running on my stick.

So summary for Windows 8 - couldn't get the SDK to run, but it seems to work anyway. I rooted first - but you may not need to. Make sure laptop is booted with device driver verification switched off. Edit the file in the android SDK, add the ini file mentioned step 4. Not sure what the PDA programme did - but run it anyway. Go to the platform tools folder of the android SDK download and open a command window. Type "adb shell" then "adb reboot bootloader" If your screen goes black - then follow the instructions from the Finless rom. If it doesn't - don't ask me - I think this was a fluke!

13. Txbmcdroid

Txbmcdroid Member

Tablet:
    Ainol Hero
    Phone:
    imito mx1 and MK809
    Anyone Help Please!! I flashed this rom on my mk809. All seemed to go well but now I have no wifi, and my pc does not even recognize that the 809 is plugged in (usb debugging/connect to pc does nothing) Any help is much appreciated.

14. marc Delanghe

marc Delanghe Member

Hi,

I had a similar problem.
    You can recover by the recover procedure in this forum:
    http://vondroid.com/threads/mk809-recovery-tool.5390/

Read this word file : mk809 recovery by short circuit-11.03.doc
    It's a 10 page document explaining that you can do the " connect to pc" stuff by making a short circuit between 2 pins while putting the power.
    THIS WORKS. I did this and I was able to recuperate.
    Then I first re-read the complete procedure and reflashed the rom, but with default settings and made the changes later.
    Now all worked fine.
    Succes!

15. Txbmcdroid

Txbmcdroid Member

Tablet:
    Ainol Hero
    Phone:
    imito mx1 and MK809

Thank you. I tried this method and I was able to get the recovery rom flashed, but now it only shows the penguins in the corner for a while then restarts?? Any idea??

16. marc Delanghe

marc Delanghe Member

I would say, redo the procedure and flash the Finless 1.7 ROM as described all the way up in this thread.
    Before you start read the TXT file from Bob Finless and the comments from Bothlyn in the first item all the way up.
    Flash with "Rom Flash tool.exe" and leave all the boxes checked as they are and just click the "FLASH ROM" button.
    test first like this.

When you want to change something, like 1080 in stead of 720, do that later in the second step, because then you can flas just the 1080 boot.img and the 1080 kernel image .
    How to do this is described in the TXT file from Bob; just read it!
    Succes!

17. marc Delanghe

marc Delanghe Member

And off course, skip the part where it say to go to the "connect to PC" mode, just use the short between pin 6 and 7 methode.;)

18. Txbmcdroid

Txbmcdroid Member

Tablet:
    Ainol Hero
    Phone:
    imito mx1 and MK809
    I reflashed the default Finless 1.7 rom following all instructions. I am able to boot all the way into android system but I still have no wifi or pc connection. Is this common?
    I tried flashing the rom multiple times and I also erase nand multiple times before flashing rom!! Thank you again for all of your help

19. Txbmcdroid

Txbmcdroid Member

Tablet:
    Ainol Hero
    Phone:
    imito mx1 and MK809

I used rom flash tool to clear NAND (repeated 10=times) closed flash tool and opened recovery tool. Used recovery tool to flash recovery rom. BOOTED!! :), I then used the update.zip file from mk809 website and now ALL IS FUNCTIONING AGAIN!! Thank you

20. smcphill

smcphill Member

Tablet:
    MK809
    Every time I try to clear NAND, I get a "lower format failed" error. Have tried power cycling (via shutdown -p) numerous times, can't seem to wipe the NAND. Everything else looks good: "adb reboot bootloader" looks like it's doing its job, "ROM Flash Tool" / RK AndroidTool sees the correct "Found RKAndroid Rock USB" message thingy.

Any ideas? edit: I truly am struggling today :) This time, needed to short pins 6-7 and then the flash worked just fine. Have managed to flash *something* onto my mk809... looking forward to the outcome of this reboot!

Remove Advertisements