Hello from Delaware

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by commiecam, Nov 1, 2015.

Remove Advertisements
  1. commiecam

commiecam Member

Tablet:
    Ugoos UT3S
    Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy
    TV Stick:
    No stick. FTA Satellite system built around X2 receiver.
    I have three ARM devices but little technical ARM experience. My devices are:
    1. Genesi Smarttop Single Freescale CPU, I've installed Kali Linux. A slow but dead reliable device.
    2. ENY OTT TV Box Quad RK3288/Quad Mali. Android only and the Android is terrible! Looks hacked by a damned fool. Will try to replace it with Linux from some other similar box.
    3. UGOOS UT3S Android/Ubuntu 14.10. Android works well out of box, as does Ubuntu, but for networking. None of the familiar Linux networking tools were included. Two whole days wasted so far, and that after being a Unix geek for 28 years!.

I want to learn about 32 bit ARM booting and boot-loaders so I can build and set up a system properly, i.e., either Slackware or Debian, armhf, with LXDE windowing. In other words a fast, simple and secure replacement for my AMD64 based desktop.
    If this sounds a bit anti-Android, it's because I am completely at home with Linux, HP-UX or BSD and I will use the box for work and not gaming or surfing.

2. ATAB

ATAB Staff Member Global Moderator

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2
    Hi @commiecam
    cool to hear you are into Linux. I am really interested in your experience with Linux and what box proved best so far.
    Welcome here!

ATAB

3. commiecam

commiecam Member

Tablet:
    Ugoos UT3S
    Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy
    TV Stick:
    No stick. FTA Satellite system built around X2 receiver.
    Without question the UGOOS box is superior, but only because of having more USB ports and a much better loading of Android than the ENY. I was going to try to load it with the Ubuntu Linux from the UGOOS but frankly, the installation is very incomplete. Now that I have a stable desktop, I can afford to gamble a bit, and as I learn more abou installing and booting a system, I will probably attempt first to run Slackware armhf from an SD card before attempting to flash it. I do wish I could find some, indeed ANY readable literature about ARM boot loading and uboot, but so far I have been unsuccessful. Any leads would be much appreciated, remembering that I am far more a user than a developer.

Remove Advertisements