Guide Improve Wifi Antenna of the MK808B !

Discussion in 'MK808B' started by mrkus21, Jan 20, 2013.

Remove Advertisements
  1. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

Most definitely ANT only and not GND (Ground). You can check once before soldering which gives you best results.

PToledo likes this.
  2. jpazerty

jpazerty Member

Tablet:
    mk808b
    Phone:
    samsug sg210
    TV Stick:
    mk808b
    great it works really well, thank you very much for your help, I get 2 to 4 bars now, very cool

3. boo

boo Member

Phone:
    TV Stick:
    mk808b
    Hello, just to add my to cents,

I've had the same problem with my MK808B. Under scrutiny, it was found that both aerials had the antenna soldered to the ground.

In the end, I removed both antenna and replaced both with a length of single core cable.

Little drop of hot glue prevents the cable from tearing off the solder pads as they are quite small.

Drilled 2 small holes in the end either side of the HDMI output and ran the cable along the length of the PCB and out the holes.

Went from a measly 1- 5.5mbps to a healthy 65mbps.

DSCF2164.JPG DSCF2165.JPG DSCF2166.JPG DSCF2167.JPG

tduccuong likes this.
  4. mrkus21

mrkus21 Administrator Global Moderator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Nice try.

I want you to know Guys that the Finless 2.1 ROM now has Ethernet enablead after every Reboot. So you can also use a Cheap USB Ethernet Adapter for a good and stable Connection like I do.

5. koko fiko

koko fiko Member

TV Stick:
    MK808
    Hi,
    Kindly clarification:
    1. Did you weld the tip of the cable to the antena (onbaord connection) and the sleeve to the ground (onbaord connection)
    or just the tip of the cable to the antenna (onbaord connection) ?
    2. The other side of the cable (in your picture -white cover) suppose to be:
    tip exposed or tip and sleeve not exposed & cover by tape?

6. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Note: The maximum WiFi Speed on the MK808B is 65mbps ! That´s limited by the Chipset.

But great Work @boo ! Maybe you can take a better Picture...
    I also figured out that a Single Cord Cable is enough, we don´t need a Sleeve to be connected to GND.
    Only ANT Pin is important !

7. murpia

murpia Member

TV Stick:
    MK808B
    Posting here because it's the first Google hit for 'MK808B wifi'.

My MK808B had no wifi at all out of the box. The fix for me was to unsolder completely the wire connected to the antenna and replace with a 12cm single wire soldered to 'ant'. Plus, cover the contact pressed on 2 spring pins with a piece if paper.

The next issue is that out of the box the clock does not pick up network time, which means the clock is Jan 1st 1970. Google Play Store does not work with this data as the security certificate is not valid. Set the clock and you can use Play Store.

I hope this helps, Ian

8. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Please upload some Pictures of your Device Inside from both Sides...
    And if you can a Screenshot of the Device Info. To make sure that you have a Original Version.

9. luxor1971

luxor1971 Member

I recently got the original MK808B with Android 4.2.2. Seems to have all the latest stuff since Netflix works fine on it. The only problem I started having was trying to use Plex. I have a Plex media server and content played fine on all my other devices except the MK808B, where the video would freeze every few seconds. I guessed it was a Wifi issue. I don't know if it's a language issue, a change in the design of the unit, or the fact that some of you have clones but I couldn't make heads or tails of any instructions here. My MK808B innards don't look like any of the pictures posted here. All I see in mine is an ANT and GRND terminals and a single antenna soldered to both. So what I did was break the solder between the two terminals and then soldered a 15cm piece of shielded alarm wire (22 awg) to the ANT terminal. I made a hole in the case and passed it through. I bent the wire in an "L" shape as Ars.Para said and that seemed to work the best.

Now I can get up to 4 bars where before I only got 2. The Plex client now works fine even if the signal drops temporarily down from 4 bars (I guess the new antenna makes the wifi signal more stable even if it isn't strong).

I'll experiment with making the wire 12 cm, but so far it's doing the job. My only question is...how do I know I'm getting true 1080p. I set it that way in Android settings and it didn't complain, but I don't know if its just upscaling.

photo (5).jpg photo (4).jpg

10. Ar.Pars

Ar.Pars Member

It completely depends on your TV's Width (how many inches ?). You will never get 1080i or 1080p on your MK808B and not even with new TV sticks with Quad Cores and 2Gb RAM. Maybe if you plug your MK808B in a TV which has a Inch-Value under 23, then you will most probably get 1080i but DO NOT set it on 1080.Set it better on 720 like me. Even 720 will jerk or freeze frequently on a TV with 32 inch and more.
    So Conclusion :
    -
    Plug a Low-Inch-TV (better under 23 inch) to get good 1080i or perfect 720.
    - Install 720 ROM to get nice stability, performance, picture.

!!!!!!!!!! Why did you buy MK808B now ? !!!!!!!!!
    You could buy a much better Stick with an amazing low price like these :

1) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tron...8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html
    2) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GM28...le-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-Black-318994.html

These have Quad Core CPU / 2Gb RAM / Antenna ...
    Much better than MK808B

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  11. luxor1971

luxor1971 Member

Thanks for the tips! Yes I regret buying the mk808b...but at least I learned some good skills in terms of modding. I think I'm going go get the CX 919 as that seems to be best out there now for the price.

12. mhanbury

mhanbury Member

Hi good thread. I've got exactly the same problem. Tried different firmware wireless routers and power supplies. WiFi just keeps dropping to very low throughput levels and stops. While transmitting I've also noticed it can knock out other WiFi devices.

I also just have the one antenna wire in mine soldered over ant and grd terminals as shown. Should I remove the wire and solder to just the ant terminal?

Thanks

Attached Files:

13. Ar.Pars

Ar.Pars Member

Yes, only ant and 12cm with L-form. follow post #15 on previous page (1) and see pics.

PToledo likes this.
  14. Ar.Pars

Ar.Pars Member

i recommend Tronsmart MK908II because it has on both sides of case some holes which helps and enables the air thoroughly and keeps whole internal components cool . :)

15. PToledo

PToledo Member

TV Stick:
    MK808B
    Hi!

My MK808B had the ant. cable welded to both antenna and ground terminals.

I did a quickfix desoldering the ground part of the cable and just leaving the antenna connection, now I have a great wifi stability.

Thank you everybody for the tips!

16. nimo

nimo Member

Tablet:
    HP Touchpad 32GB Android 4.3
    Phone:
    Samsung Note 3, SGS2, Iphone 4s
    TV Stick:
    MK808 X2
    Hi guys,

Like most of you, I have also wifi issues on my MK808
    Mine came soldered to grn and ant on one side and the other had spring connectors and both had grn and ant on it

Shall I put a 12 cm cable on the front of the board (near the OTG port) or at the back where the spring connectors are located?
    Do I need to remove/unsolder the grn from front board and put a isolation tap on the back one?

Thanks in advance!

17. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    You can try to solder a cable at the ant pin and leave the gnd empty. At the back side in the middle of the pcb you can let it as it is.

Sometimes the cables they use are connected inside the cable from gnd to ant pin... because of soldering the isolation of this dual wire is defective. Just measure both cables... if you want.

Gesendet von meinem JY-G4 mit Tapatalk

18. nimo

nimo Member

Tablet:
    HP Touchpad 32GB Android 4.3
    Phone:
    Samsung Note 3, SGS2, Iphone 4s
    TV Stick:
    MK808 X2
    Thanks,

Since my post I overheated the pcb and by accident unsolded the ant part of the board near the OTG port
    I have soldered an old antenna to the spring connector at the back on the ANT part and I had 20mb when I tested it, then the signal dropped to around 5mb

I covered the existing antenna part and only used my new external antenna, seems to work but not as fast as though it will be

Not sure if I should use a 12cm wire instead
    when I did use a wire (not sure if it was a correct one or lengh as some mm is soldered to the ANT then few cm in the case then only the remaining out of the case) I had bad signal and google play had the problem with the time

What do you all recommend?

external antenna to ANT on spring connector or 12-14cm wire to ANT and nothing else?

Thanks!

19. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    I tested a Lot of the MK808B WIFI, and I can tell you, as I found out, the Spring Connector improves the Wifi Signal Bars... so for that Spring ANT Pin use a 12cm Single Cord Cable.
    And the other Antenna on the back improves the MB/s Speed for WiFi, I used the Original for this one, but you can also try a Cable for it.
    Or read the Forums and take a Look at Ar.Pars Posts about how to improve it.

nimo likes this.
  20. yoshiki99

yoshiki99 Member

TV Stick:
    mk808b
    hi all!
    the 12cm antenna works great... until i pull off the solder while closing the case
    i can't solder it again ... any idea to save my device ??

please HELP !

Remove Advertisements