Orders from AliExpress

Discussion in 'MK808 Order, Shipping and Experience' started by PyromaniacB, Oct 19, 2012.

Remove Advertisements
  1. PyromaniacB

PyromaniacB Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung GT-N7100
    TV Stick:
    MK808 TV Stick
    Here you can discuss about AliExpress sellers offering the MK808, both before and after buying.

I'll be updating this with my experience with my own order, currently first impression is good. I ordered on a Saturday and on the following Monday already received a tracking number. Because of the Chinese congress slowing down the postal service, the tracking number hasn't yet given any result. I also asked them about the product and got a fast and informative reply.

The specific product I bought was this MK808 + air mouse combo from seller sunsky. I took it with a free China Post delivery but it seems they're not offering it anymore.

2. ATAB

ATAB Staff Member Global Moderator

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2
    ...well I looking forward to your report here...and your experience with the remote control..

3. PyromaniacB

PyromaniacB Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung GT-N7100
    TV Stick:
    MK808 TV Stick
    Just received a message that China Post returned the product to sender... It's unbelievable how one country can make themselves so much Customs problems because of the upcoming congress.
    Well, the seller was friendly and had taken the package to HK Post. Now I shall start the waiting game again. Well, at least the HK Post tracking usually works :rolleyes:

4. smokieg

smokieg Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    I was just looking at the link and noticed in the pic the dual tyco style antennas looks like at least one manufacturer is listening to their customers regardless of the production cost

MK808 tyco.jpg

i haven't yet seen any other TV stick with antennas like this
    looking forward to reviews.

5. Jeff Blackmon

Jeff Blackmon Member

Tablet:
    MK808
    Ordered the same MK808 and RC11 keyboard from Geekbuying.com on 10-21 and received it on 10-29. So far, I'm very happy with the combination.

6. Jeff Blackmon

Jeff Blackmon Member

Tablet:
    MK808
    Here's the link... http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK80...ip-RK3066-Cortex-A9-Mini-PC-stick-307415.html

The price is a little higher from this site.

It's my first time ordering from Geekbuying and it went well. Only ordered from Aliexpress once and experience was OK, but slower. I believe it really depends on who the vendor is on Aliexpress that determines the service you get.

Cheers!

7. PyromaniacB

PyromaniacB Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung GT-N7100
    TV Stick:
    MK808 TV Stick
    Great to hear, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive..

8. ATAB

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2
  9. PyromaniacB

PyromaniacB Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung GT-N7100
    TV Stick:
    MK808 TV Stick
    It should be, since 1A chargers have been reported to be insufficient with the RK3066 TV sticks.

10. ATAB

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2
    Exactly - that's why I am asking and geekbuying boosts that they include a proper charger...

11. ATAB

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2
    Any update? Did you get the TV stick by now? Or did you cancel?

Thanks,

ATAB

12. PyromaniacB

PyromaniacB Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung GT-N7100
    TV Stick:
    MK808 TV Stick
    Oh yes, my apologies, I've been pretty busy lately and have forgotten about this. So yes, I received the MK808 over a week ago so the total time was around one month, which I think is pretty reasonable considering all the hassle with the China Customs then. The value marked on the package was $10 and I didn't have to pay any VAT, the Customs wasn't interested in it.

I asked about the included cables before I ordered and they said that it will include a power supply, a USB cable, and an HDMI adapter and that if I wanted an OTG cable I would need to add an extra $2. However, the OTG cable was included even that I didn't pay the extra $2. The included USB power supply was in fact a 5V 2A one and I haven't had any problems power-wise.

The MK808 itself is quite a nice device, I almost immediately flashed Finless 1.5a rom and have been happy with it. The Wifi strength isn't too great even if it has dual Tyco antennas, I'm using it about 5 meters from the router and I'm getting a -65 to -80 dBm signal and usually one bar on the Wifi icon. But it hasn't really caused any problems yet. Netflix streams nicely.

The RC11 air mouse is very handy, I really prefer it to a traditional touchpad mouse one since it's just so much better to use with apps designed for touch control. The mouse part is working really nicely. However, I'm a little disappointed in the keyboard. It has SMD clicky buttons which is nice and they have a great feel to them. The big issue and the reason why I mostly use the software keyboard with the cursor is that when writing fast, the keyboard loses key presses way too often. Something like every fifth or every tenth key press isn't sent to Android. This is really a major flaw and while I can't say for sure if it's happening in just my device, I would suggest to consider some other option if you need to write a lot with it. But the great air mouse feature is still keeping me using it. Also, a backlight would be really useful but there unfortunately isn't one. I also haven't figured out how to use the media buttons, if they work in the first place.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the MK808 and it does it job nicely. I haven't run into any major problems with it. I had something go wrong with the first flash, but fortunately the MK808 has a reset button and it makes it almost impossible to brick. The device looks nice and doesn't get too warm. The experience with the seller sunsky was very good and I would be happy to recommend them. The MK808 + RC11 bundle is currently US $78.48 with free HK Post shipping.

Thanks to Finless Bob for the great rom!

13. grymace

grymace Member

Tablet:
    MK808
    PyromaniacB

I've just received my MK808 as well. I want to install a custom ROM as well, but I want to copy my existing stock firmware, in case I need to reload it in the future. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance.

14. Splodgie

Splodgie Member

Tablet:
    Mk808
    Best STD ROM and tools can be found here, http://kimdecent.com/drivers/95.html
    Build Number: MK808_300j1_27_10_2012. (when you unpack the zip, and use the RKBatchTool.exe
    FIRST go to the BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON, click on it and change to the other selection for ENGLISH.
    OR open the config.ini in notepad and change line 4 from Selected=1 to Selected=2 and save, now RKBatchTool.exe will load English, This ROM is totally STD and works perfect. And works with Win XP as well.
    Best ROM that works and is routed and has not been hacked about to much is here http://ultramegabit.com/file/details/AHKjYcRUs68 (this is now dead same file at http://forum.androidnow.pl/threads/652-Tutorial-MK808-MK808B-wgrywanie-romów-i-podkecanie-procesora)This is what I am using now, HDMI works as it should, WiFi works the best I have found.
    ( If you install a custom ROM set the HDMI and screen first, then reboot the MK and see it it kept it's setting if not try another ROM.
    Of the 10/15 or so ROM's I have tested only the above ROM's were bug free.)

Dave (Splodgie)
    ROM flash mode. (USB2 only, USB3 will NOT work.)
    Remove any SD card, Have the USB cable unplugged.
    USB storage is turned off,
    USB debugging is turned off Under developer options,
    Near the HDMI port are 2 holes, one in each corner. One is the blue LED hole.
    The other is the reset button under the hole.
    Use an BLUNT pin, or something to push the reset button in this hole.
    You will feel the button "click" when you are on it.
    Hold this button down and while holding it, plug the USB cable from the PC to the OTG port on the MK808.( you only need this cable pluged in to flash the MK808 and install the drivers)
    You should here windows Ding it found a new device. release the button The LED will not light! (there are no drivers install yet)
    You are now in ROM flash mode.
    Install drivers for your MK808 and OS you are using.
    Reboot PC and MK808,
    Now you have the drivers installed you can now put the MK808 into flash mode the blue light will come on, and use the above software you have to flash the MK808, take 2/3 mins to flash.

On the back of most LCD/Plasma TV's there are wall mounting holes for the bracket to bolt toI have put two plastic P clips to these holes and place the MK in between the clips so the HDMI cable and power cable go through P clips.I have found the best way to place my MK for best WiFi reception, Logo facing up, and SD slot facing the back of my TV, HDMI facing right as you standing in front of the TV. this works best for me and the CPU heat sink is facing up, there is no room inside the case for air to move, so no air flow cooling. Also if you use a 2.4gHz mouse/keyboard put the USB receiver in a USB extension so it not near the MK antennas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Bedwar22

Bedwar22 Member

Received my MK808 and RC12 which I ordered through Alliexpress last weekend. It was a fantastic price compared to what is being offered in Germany - only €56 for both and free shipping. I was worried that it was too good to be true and the process was not without a little excitement. I ordered over the christmas break and got the usual info about shipping taking upto 50 days - god knows what they do with the post in China to make is so slow. Anyway got sent the tracking number which of course did not track. 3 weeks later I got a message that China post had returned the package for no apparent reason with the question whether I wanted a full refund or whether they should resend it at my cost. So a few alarm bells rang and I asked for the refund. At the same time worried about my money I raised a complaint at Alli Express. Then all hell broke loose - almost immediatly 2 Emails from the seller 1 amazed that I could raise a complaint so quickly and the 2nd saying they had resent the packet 2 days earlier, apparently before the first Email even, at their cost. Again with a tracking number which of course still did not track - whats the point?

No idea what really happened but exactly 14 days later the postman delivered the package to me. The stick has the latest firmware on it so it is rooted. WLAN is a bit weak so I am toying with the idea of using an external ariel that I have - or perhaps I should say getting up the courage to open the box and start soldering.;)

16. Splodgie

Splodgie Member

Tablet:
    Mk808
Remove Advertisements