Device Review UHost U1A - 22€ Crazy Skype Stick

Discussion in 'Android TV Reviews' started by mrkus21, Feb 4, 2013.

Remove Advertisements
  1. mrkus21

mrkus21 Administrator Global Moderator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    UHost U1A has arrived !!

And I let you be a Part of my little Review of this cheap Android 4.0.4 Stick for ONLY 22€ !
    I received it today, and I think this Model is really good Quality. It´s only a A10 with 1GHz... and has only 2930 Antutu Score, but... it´s ok and ICS is running without any Problems.

The PCB is screwed into the Case, really high Quality Build.
    Is has a 1GB for Apps and also 1GB RAM inside. The really great Thing is the integrated Microphone and also the Microphone Connector with 3,5mm jack.
    This Device is made for Skype on TV !!! Great ! I´m testing this at the Moment and Skype Sound Quality is really great.

Also I have to say, it has also a WiFi Pin with a small Metal Plate inside like the MK808 has... but as I sayd at the MK808B Discussions, all you need for a good Wifi Signal is the ANT Pin mounted on a little Metal Piece like here --> Picture 3 right Edge.
    I have full WiFi Bars and 150MBPs. 4 Bars !!!

Result, really good Device fot it´s Price and maybe if they take a RK3066 for it and no A10 it would beat the MK808B !!!! Microphone is really amazing also the Sound Quality... I skype at this Moment with one of my Friends and he says, really good ! No need for a external Mic, but you can if you want.

The U1A has no Bluetooth inside, but for me it´s ok, I don´t need this. My Mouse and my Keyboard are 2,4GHz with Dongles. USB Ethernet is also good and running.

Here some Pictures from my disassembled UHost U1A !!
    IMG_20130204_174306.jpg IMG_20130204_174131.jpg IMG_20130204_174242.jpg IMG_20130204_174107.jpg
    Pictures made with Jiayu G3

Last Thoughts... about 3000 Antutu is not good, but okay for ICS.
    For those who do only some Skype and Internet on TV, or running a Chat App like Facebook or ICQ it´s ok for this CRAZY Price !!! 21,97€

Any Questions... do it...
    :D

Moderator Mihaelzeuch

2. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

cool.
    how far can you go with the wifi? i have the router in my bedroom and planning one for my TV in the living room. i'd say 18 feet (6m) with a wall in between.

3. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Hi Mrkus21

This would be my first post on this forum. I also am getting the same Uhost u1a stick. Your review gave me great comfort. I would mostly be using this stick to view SD videos, streaming from my NAS and youtube, via XBMC. Can you tell me hows the performance of XBMC while streaming over Wifi.

Also I did not understand what you mean by "all you need for a good Wifi Signal is the ANT Pin mounted on a little Metal Piece like here --> Picture 3 right Edge"
    I see the pin in the picture you shared, but to get good signals what am I suppose to do ...???

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Sammy

4. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    I mean I have good Signal comparing to other Sticks... I wanted to say that this U1A has a really simple WiFi Antenna and it works.

5. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Hi mrkus21, Appreciate your reply. I got my stick yesterday, but my initial impressions turned really bad . Hope you can help to pin point the issue.

1. For me Wifi is really really bad, ..... well not sure where the issue lies, but Wifi connects with no issues and I can browse as well. But I simply cannot stream even SD videos from my NAS (Synology Ds413j). The video stutters and is painfully jerky. I initially tried the default player, that would not even open the file, then installed MX player, that atleast opened the file but the playback was pathetic. To confirm I copied few videos on the SD Card and tried from it. The MX Player played all videos properly, so I guess it has to do something with Wifi Streaming.
    Either the Wifi is bad with this stick (even thought it says WiFi n) or I am not sure where the problem lies. (I get full wifi signals on this stick).

You tube as well only works on SD videos, that too not perfectly, I mean it does buffer a couple or times on a 5 min video. HD videos dont work at all, they keep buffering.
    Mind you all this streaming and youtube with HD works perfectly on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. There I use RockPlayer or Asus Media Player

2. Second and scary issue :::: I think there is bug with this stick or ROM. Every now and then the display would just go blank for a couple of seconds and then come back. This is occasional but it does happen. YOu are working and suddenly the display goes black and you are like wtf!!, and then it comes back. I have no idea why or what is going on here. All the connections are tight and secure.

Can you shed some light on these problems. Hope there are not more, as it been only a day I have been playing with this device.

PS :: Forgot to mention, with this experience I have ordered the USB Ethernet adapter, with a hope to solve this problem

Regards
    Sammy

6. rishidoshi

rishidoshi Member

Check the link speed that you are getting. 54mbps or 65 or 150 or what? (In wifi settings click on your AP). Use wifi analyzer to check the signal strength.
    Im sure you know this but still, set a WPA2-PSK (AES) security on your router and not WPA. This helps the router use the N capabilities and devices would get the max speed that the router can give out. (150 or 300)

If the above don't work then i guess your next move will be to get into hardware mods :p

Is the power supply inadequate? Hope you are using the standard adapter (2A something) and not the USB of the TV to power up your device. Try using any other branded 1.5 or 2A power supply and see. If you are using power hungry usb devices then you may need an externally powered USB hub.

do report back with your results.
    regards

sam9s likes this.
  7. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Ok ..... time for update .... I have 150mbps connection showing..... Wifi Analizer shows around -50db signal. My security is WPA2-PSK ...... With speedtest app I am getting a mere, 300-400kbps (on a 4mbps connection) ...... so I think I need a hardware mod. Anyway I googled and came across this wonderful thread ....

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/uhost-u1a/wi-fi-transfer-speed-problem-solution-2994.html

That discussed the same Wifi problem which I and lots of other people have been facing. Good new is I was able to solve my problem with the solution that was provided there, but bad new is, only half of the issue. By opening up the device and putting a cello tape on the inside cover and also wrapping the antenna with a copper wire, I was able to bring my Wifi Speed back from 300-400kbps to 3.5mbps (my ISP limit is 4mbps). So Browsing has improved a lot and you tube HD started to work fine ....... unfortunately my main purpose of being able to stream from my NAS was not solved, I have no idea but local LAN streaming is not working. MX Player takes ages to open a file and then its a jerky playback. Same with Rockplayer. If I move the Stick, it some times improves the performance, but it still is jerky. I also tried Archos Media Player same result. On my Nexus 7 every movie, HD, Super HD, Ultra HD, you name it, just streams flawlessly, with any goddamm player. This Uhost is becoming so irritating now ........

Coming to second problem, I am using the same power supply that came with the product. I have other USB power adapters but they are all <2A, but will see, and try to arrange any other branded 2A power supply and see if that solves the issue .....

Bitterly disappointed with UHost. :( :( :(

8. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Why don't you use a standard usb lan adapter? Also you can try custom XBMC I uploaded at our apps section and try it.

Gesendet von meinem JY-G3 mit Tapatalk 2

9. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Yes ordered the USB LAN Adapter, that's the last resort. Also where is your Apps section, please share the link to your XBMC build. I shall give it a try.

10. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
  11. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    I wonder why you have so much connection problems, if I have more time I will check it on my device...

12. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Ok time to update again, probably the last one. I received my USB LAN Adapter, and again the issue has been solver partially, I'd say 75%. Now streaming over LAN is also working fine. But not via XBMC for Android. (neither with the custom built I downloaded above) I can stream via MX player directly but if I try from within XBMC, all videos including SD videos are jerky. XBMC itself works perfectly. I guess either the Hardware acc is still not working or its not a proper finished port for Android. I have a Raspberry Pi as well and I have tried Raspbmc on it, and it works perfectly. Anyway atleast streaming directly has been solved, redeeming some confidence with this device, Over all I guess MS808 or iMeto series of sticks might be better.

13. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Yes. The U1A is the cheapest Device on the Market for now... Not really Powerful !
    If you need a Device which runs great XBMC... try the MK808B from Geekbuying. Use the FInless ROM 1.6a and Custom XBMC with MX Player and h/w Decoding for 1080p files.
    ;)

14. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    I tryed custom XBMC on uhost with a 1080p test video from usb stick. It takes 2 minutes to open custom XBMC but then it plays the test video without any lags! Really smooth for a A10 device. Have not tested streaming yet... Also the system performance is really show comparing to the Mk808b, but it works...

15. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Playing from local storage is not an option for me. infact not a point as well, as who would keep huge HD movies, locally. Its always via a dedicated networked device like a NAS. I think I might drop the idea of an Android Stick all together and purchase another developer Board. My Raspberrry Pi is been used as a dedicated LMS, so I can not use it to have XBMC. So I am thinking to purchase another Dev Board like CubieBoard, or HackBerry or maybe a CuBox, but CuBox is expensive. I feel CubieBoard for 50 USD is worth (Though its almost always out of stock) as its not highly priced and we have a customized Android version for it as well. I will hope that XBMC will stream good on it out of the box.

Any suggestions, recommendations, pointers to any review, thread that might be helpful to make a decision to go for which Dev Board.

16. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Thought to update, Bought a CubieBoard, as soon as I saw it was available for purchase, should get it by within a week, Will install Android and let you know hows the experience.....

17. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Yeah, sure, but maybe you open a Thread for it. Here it´s a bit OffTopic.
    Thx, ;)

18. sam9s

sam9s Member

Tablet:
    Nexus 7
    Oh I am sorry, will do that for sure, for now take the above comment just as an update. Thanks for all the help and guidance ...... :)

19. mrkus21

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Looking forward for your Review here: http://vondroid.com/forums/device-reviews.210/
    It could be really interesting for Developers... ;)

Remove Advertisements