Firmware update from External SDCard

Discussion in 'N101 Firmware, ROMs & Recovery' started by Piers, Jul 26, 2012.

Remove Advertisements
  1. Piers

Piers Staff Member Administrator

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    I was playing around and thought I would copy update.img to the root of my External SD. I left the tablet for a while then turned it on again and there was a message on the screen: "An update has been found in mnt/external_sd/update.img, would you like to update?"

So technically we should be able to run updates straight from the SD card which saves having to use the rock tools. I haven't tested this out BUT if someone wants to then try it out.

1) Copy update.img to root of SD
    2) Mount SD
    3) Unmount
    4) Mount
    5) Wait and see if the message appears.

2. omozhey

omozhey Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Re: Well, this is interesting.

It really work. i just update today from sd.

3. Piers

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature

That's pretty awesome. Gives us a much easier way to upgrade. Did you root the device first?

4. omozhey

omozhey Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101

Yes it was rooted.

5. finlessbob

finlessbob Developer

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    This is pretty typical of RK tablets! In fact that is what update.img is really for. It will update boot, kernel, system without erasing user data when update.img is put on SDcard. Sorry nothing new here :)

Bob

6. Piers

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    I've been using A10 based tablets so far and this is my first Rockchip one so didn't know that.

7. finlessbob

finlessbob Developer

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    No worries... Just thought I would let everyone know this is how RockChips work.
    What made you even think to do that?

FYI, I will add ClockWork Recovery Mod to this ROM so be ready for even more cool features :)
    Alas, my touch screen just failed on me tonight :(

Bob

8. Piers

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    CWM would be awesome, gives many more options then. What happend to your screen? Perm. fail?

Any ETA on your ROM?

I will upgrade your status to Firmware Developer.

9. finlessbob

finlessbob Developer

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Piers, if you don't know me let me introduce myself. I am Finless Bob. Nothing great just a guy that has a lot of experience with RockChips.

Check out freaktab.com. I do not like to post my home base web site on other forums as we all know how this works... Respect!. But google search my name if you want to delete my web site link, yet see what I do. Again not trying to brag my friend I just happen to know a little RockChip :).

When I finish my ROM I will post it on FreakTab but because you guys were first with a forum for this tablet I have no problems if you want to post my ROMs here for download. I usually prefer people get them from my site so they stay up to date on my ROMs but for you guys. No issue.

Anyway, using another tablet and this ROMs (system.img, boot.img) with the other tablets kernel, I have CWM working :)

As for my screen. Total hardware failure. I do not believe it is a cable inside or anything. I am pretty sure the driver chip failed inside. Being 52 and seeing failues when chips start to go, pretty sure this is the cause.
    While I am bummed it happen I also understand these things can and do happen. It's called infant moratality and NO amount of QC checking can find this kind of failure. It happens... Not happy but I will be when I get my replacement :)

Bob

10. Piers

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    It's great to have you on here Finless Bob, you are a true asset to the Rockchip community and to this forum :) Looking forward to having CWM running on the N101. Appreciate you letting us post your work on here, however would you be happy to post your future ROMs/update on here as well, sort of like a second home?

11. ttan98

ttan98 Supporter Member

Piers,

I am not that clear of your procedure you outlined above, I don't like to make mistakes when I update my firmware(FW), I like to list my procedure below, please look at it and correct me if I am wrong(if I get it wrong I get a brick!). I have not done any Android FW update before even though I have done PC BIOS update.

1. Power off the Tab
    2. Copy the update.img to the root directory of the ext. SD(TF card)
    3. Mount the TF card to the TF slot.
    4. Power On the Tab as normal or do I have to power up with 1 finger on Power and another finger on Vol(-)
    at the same time?
    5. The Tab will execute the firmware update. How long does it take?
    6. On completion of FW update will it automatically reboot the Tab or do I have to switch the Tab on again?

Please comment, thanks

12. tupacsoul

tupacsoul Developer

Tablet:
    N101
    Everything ok here too. Flashed from internal storage directly.

13. sa5cha

sa5cha Member

is any file missing after doing the update from sd card? Must i change back all my setting and apps, like a factory reset or is just the fw changing?

Thanks

14. Tuen

Tuen Staff Member Administrator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    Normally it will clear the device

Sent from my Window N101 using Tapatalk 2

15. Piers

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    The easiest option would be to apply the firmware using the Rocktools method. If you want to use the SD method then all you really need to do is Steps 2 and 3. Once you have done a popup should ask if you would like to flash the device, just click OK or YES. It should then carry out the flash procedure. The whole process takes around 5-6 minutes and should reboot automatically.

I have not personally tested this method but other people have and it does work. If you really want to update the firmware then I strongly suggest you follow this guide: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=334

16. blackmamba831

blackmamba831 Member

I try to update but whwn i mount sd card and push power + vol - appear android logo with a ! on it. how can i do?

17. PyromaniacB

PyromaniacB Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Phone:
    Samsung GT-N7100
    TV Stick:
    MK808 TV Stick
    Are you pressing the buttons for too long? You should only press for 3 seconds(there will only be a black screen), and then update.

18. blackmamba831

blackmamba831 Member

R: Firmware update from External SDCard

Thank you i have solved, i flash my tablet with rockchip tool

Inviato dal mio N101 DUAL CORE con Tapatalk 2

19. ausgang

ausgang Member

Tablet:
    none
    I try to flash via SD, because I can't figure out a way to install Rock Drivers on Win7.
    The problem is, people here are talking about "update.img" ... where does this file come from? I have system.img, kernel.img, ... but not update.img.

Thanks in advance.

20. finlessbob

finlessbob Developer

Tablet:
    Yuandao N101
    Sounds like your trying to flash my ROM. This is not in a update.img package so the only way is with my flash tool.
    Even if we can build a update.img it would not work because of the changes I made to the parameter file and adding clockwork.
    Until I figure out a way to make a update.img with major ROM changes like this, your stuck trying to get the drivers installed and working.

Bob

Remove Advertisements