Guide How to Flash Firmware using SP_Flash_Tool

Discussion in 'Firmware, Roms & Recovery' started by Tuen, Apr 26, 2013.

Remove Advertisements
  1. albertako

albertako Member

Ok, thanks

2. Cris Mooney

Cris Mooney Supporter

Tablet:
    None
    Phone:
    Haier W718
    Beware USB micro cable connectors:

I had many troubles installing drivers and flashing my W718, though once it started writing the new VonDroid image it went smoothly. Then, with VonDroid 2.1 installed, I was not able to get USB storage to work. Until, hours later, I discovered the cable was the issue.

In the end I finally discovered that the third party USB Micro cable I was using was not connecting completely on the phone side. I was mislead because the phone would recognize "charging", so I assumed the cable was live. Eventually (literally 100's of tries later), when I noticed a few times it was not recognizing "charging" either, or falling out to easily, I grabbed the original cable and found things worked!

In my case the issue is related to the waterproof USB micro connection on the phone being set back in, and the plastic coating on the micro connector being to large to let it insert far enough. For hours I was getting "charging" on connect, but no "USB" computer connection (and neither driver prompts Windows side nor USB Storage prompts on the VonDroid side). After finding both worked on XP, Win 7 (and Win 8 no driver installs) with the original cable, I cut back the thick plastic on the third party cable and it works fine every time now as well. The provided cable was a bit thinner in plastic around the micro connector.

So, just because you get "charging" when connecting the USB cable, do not assume that you have full USB connectivity (and results can vary from "no communications at all" to "intermittent failures").

Finally: I was also of the opinion during flashing that if I put the battery back in too quickly, before the Flash Tool started the counting up to 15, then communications may have been failing - but this may also have been cable connectivity related, it is not clear.

Good luck,
    Cris

3. Tuen

Tuen Staff Member Administrator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    about the usb cable i can confirm that some of them are little bite too fat... but the cable from Haier was compatible and some of my usb are also compatible.

4. abtekk

abtekk Developer

Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9
    Just so you know, I flash in W7 x64 fine.

5. albertako

albertako Member

I finally got it. I tried in another PC and worked greatly. Thanks!!

6. sparxxx

sparxxx Member

Phone:
    W718
    Hello,

My W718 is stock rooted and i am trying to flash gapps. Anyone can tell me how to i cannot through recovery and i do not know how to flash it via sp flash e,e

Thanking you for your future reply.

Ced

7. Tuen

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    Otherwise manual install them by copy and paste and fix the permissions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. sparxxx

sparxxx Member

Phone:
    W718
    Edit: I just flashed new firmware and it's all ok. Was so easy after all ;) Awesome admin ^^

Tried that before e.e Play store just closes when i try to open it...

9. mao

mao Member

Tablet:
    Yuandao N70, Ainol novo mars
    Phone:
    Haier w718
    Thanks in spanish. Gracias por fin algo en espaƱol

10. cadyaroop

cadyaroop Member

Tablet:
    ployer momo9
    Phone:
    haier w718
    Hi
    when I connect my phone it does not stay connected. i've tried it on my laptop win7 and desktop xp. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

11. Tuen

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    Is your driver installed correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. cadyaroop

cadyaroop Member

Tablet:
    ployer momo9
    Phone:
    haier w718
    The driver can't install properly because the phone doesn't stay connected long enough. The computer beeps up when I connects the phone then beeps down after a second then beeps up again then down ... If I put the battery in the computer beeps up then about thirty seconds later it beeps down then nothing.

13. playpig

playpig Member

Guys I've tried this for three days and it ain't working. When I press download it just shows the attached, and it just happens all my computers have Windows 8 installed.

I am a very simple person just want to have Google infrastructure installed because all my information is there. Is anyone here able to help? I know it's against the spirit but if someone can flash Tuen's firmware for me I am happy to pay for your trouble:) (I am in London...)

Attached Files:

• 12.PNG
      12.PNG
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  14. afri

afri Member

try this :

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2

15. salzkuchen

salzkuchen Member

Phone:
    Haier w718
    thanks a lot, it is real fine! But I can not select any APN-settings ... what can be the bug?

16. AmyC

AmyC Member

Ok I really need help please. Got my Haier W718 yesterday, have been reading your forums for days and planning to root it, followed instructions and downloads, and I can get the flashtool screen up, but when I click scatter-loading, it wont find the android file I already downloaded, what am I doing wrong? Please help, thanks.

17. Tuen

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    maybe just flash a full firmware of vondroid?

18. jocoma

jocoma Member

Phone:
    haier w718
    Hi there,
    I have one [stupid?] question. I want to flash my wife's W718, but will the installed apps and contacts remain or will the apps be deleted by flashing the rom?
    Kind regards, Jonas [the Netherlands]

19. Cris Mooney

Cris Mooney Supporter

Tablet:
    None
    Phone:
    Haier W718
    Augmenting Tuen's more knowing response, as a newbie myself I'll offer: what "Android" did you download (there are many variations)? If it is Vondroid (like the currently recommeneded [VonDroid.com]-Vondroid_W718_v4.1.zip available via "resources -> haeir -> CFW Vondroid Haier W718 v4.x 4.1"), then you unzip that into a folder. Then at "download" you need to "browse" to the new folder you unzipped into and select the file ending in "scatter_emmc.txt". Below is a snapshot of the folders I had when I flashed Vondroid 2.1. Hope this is not too basic, and helps.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Cris Mooney

Cris Mooney Supporter

Tablet:
    None
    Phone:
    Haier W718
    Hopefully someone can augment this, but quickly I can say Installed apps will be removed. Contacts synced with an online GMail account will sync back after flashing once you re-enter your account information (as long as settings -> personal -> accounts & sync -> your@gmail.com is on with "sync contacts" enabled, and you have some "data" capable wireless connectivity set up) - and I suspect other online services would be the same. I suspect "Phone" contacts would be lost, but am not certain (in the "people" contacts application use the menu at the bottom and see "Contacts to display"). Without a tool, you have to set everything back up, like gmail account, wireless passwords, ring settings, and perhaps even your APN (cell phone provider messaging/data access under settings->wireless networks->more-Mobile Networks, see pages like http://www.phonebuff.com/2012/07/configure-apn-settings-for-android). To help with this there are "backup" apps, and many talk about "Titanium", but I've not yet tried them (Titanium crashed on my original phone OS and I've been reflashing so much to try OS versions that I've not tried it yet on Vondroid). Consider pages like http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...ckup-apps-to-consider-for-your-android-device.

Remove Advertisements