In dispute with Amazon

Discussion in 'N101 Order, Shipping and Experience' started by Steve, Oct 5, 2012.

Remove Advertisements
  1. Steve

Steve Supporter Member

Tablet:
    Archos 101 Internet Tablet
    Phone:
    Window N101
    Amazon.co.uk says that their prices include VAT, and that taxes may be applicable if delivered outside the EU.

I ordered my N101 via Amazon to be shipped from HK to UK. Ten days ago it arrived. Today arrived an invoice from FedEx for VAT plus their handling fee.

Amazon replied promptly to my complaint, basically saying that it is nothing to do with them, even though it is Amazon to whom my card was charged. I've followed up their response, but I expect I'll have to give in at some point and just accept that large companies get away with misleading statements, for fear of my Kindle book purchases mysteriously disappearing.

I would have bought at a cheaper price directly with a China/HK supplier had I known I would have to pay VAT on top of prices that "include VAT".

Incidentally, it had the touchscreen wake-up bug but this was fixed by flashing with the 3.2.1 firmware. There's also a tiny pixel that shines a bit too much. Apart from that - happy so far.

2. invu2day

invu2day Member

Problem seems to be Amazon's statement about VAT is a little ambiguous. All their prices do include VAT within the EU. Outside of the EU you would be liable for Customs Import VAT and maybe also Customs Import Duty.
    Basically Amazaon are correct but their initail statement could have been clearer.

3. duck123

duck123 Member

If your ordering from HK via Amazon... it comes from outside the Euro zone, so you will always be asked for the VAT. Amazon does what DHL does when you buy something from outside the European community.

Amazon... your friendly VAT collector!!!

4. Steve

Steve Supporter Member

Tablet:
    Archos 101 Internet Tablet
    Phone:
    Window N101
    So people seem to expect that Amazon saying prices include vat means that it doesn't. Personally I think Amazon are lying.
    I purchased a Lenovo laptop direct from Lenovo, said it included vat, shipped direct to me from China, and vat WAS included. Nothing extra to pay. My conclusion is that Amazon were lying, happy for their customers to learn the truth the hard way and that Lenovo tell the truth.
    Also, Amazon ignore any correspondence after their first reply. I suppose they know they can get away with it, ike they get away with paying zero UK corp tax.

5. RASTAVIPER

RASTAVIPER VIP Supporter Member

Tablet:
    N101T on CFW 4.3
    Phone:
    LG NEXUS 4 16Gb, Rooted, Franco ker
    I don't know what happened with your matter, but for my country (Greece), if we buy something from Amazon.com there is always calculated during order the extra custom tax.
    So, no wrong concerning Amazon's behavior.