Android News Rockchip RK3188 ready to launch !

Discussion in 'Device News' started by mrkus21, Jan 25, 2013.

Remove Advertisements
  1. mrkus21

mrkus21 Administrator Global Moderator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    Hi Guys, got some News for you !

The most popular Chinese Chip maker "Rockchip" confirmed, that they have their 28nm RK3188 Quad Core Chip ready. They will send out Samples of their Chip to some Manufacturers in February !

So if they have this Chip, it´s possible to see some Tablets or other Devices like TV Sticks with this Chip in March, April or May.

Some Informations from liliputing.com:

"The RK3188 is a 28nm quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 chip with speeds up to 1.8 GHz.
    It has Mali 400 quad-core graphics with speeds up to 500 MHz, and support for OpenGL 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1.
    The chip can handle 1080p HD video playback at 60 frames per second, or 1080p HD H.264 and VP8 encoding at 30 frames per second. It can also handle dual panel displays and resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 pixels.
    Rockchip includes and embedded GPS baseband."
    Source: liliputing.com

:D
    Moderator Administrative

2. ATAB

ATAB Staff Member Global Moderator

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2
    That's not really new - if I am not mistaken that has been the plan all along..already deviating a little from a having something in late 2012... as stated in the very beginning...
    Final products are still more than just a few weeks away as RK3188 can not work as an easy replacement for RK3066 in the PCB designs etc.
    Ready to launch ..could be a little over optimistic...entering sampling stage w/ customers would probably a fair term here.

If you go through several revisions of a a PCB design for RK3188 we are looking at a few months (2-4) before you can get a polished product in the retail market.

Nevertheless there have been a few announcements of tablets using the RK3188 already.

See also here for more info on RK3188
    or over here

3. Piers

Piers Staff Member Administrator

Tablet:
    See signature
    Phone:
    See signature
    TV Stick:
    See signature
    If either of you are looking to write news for the front page... ;)

4. mrkus21

mrkus21 Administrator Global Moderator

Tablet:
    See Signature
    Phone:
    See Signature
    TV Stick:
    See Signature
    I think, it would not take much long to design new pcb. A manufacturer told to armdevices that it might take about 2-3 weeks do design a completely new pcb. So maybe we will get new stuff next few month. We will see.

I know that it is not new they will launch the rk3188, but now they send out samples to some manufacturers.
    Hopefully they will do a great work.
    :)

Gesendet von meinem JY-G3 mit Tapatalk 2

5. ATAB

ATAB Staff Member Global Moderator

Tablet:
    Odys Genio 7"
    Phone:
    Samsung S2

I know this statement - I guess from the same video as you - but I doubt it somewhat (especially that this chip is not a drop in replacement ...) so you have to go to several major revisions...before a PCB design materialize that is cheap and good enough to result in a proper product at an attractive price point... so that every OEM jumps on that wagon... and then we will see a flood of these devices...I suppose ;-)!
    (Just see the trouble of Chigon C4 - an already 'proven' design turning out bad over and over again...so far)

Remove Advertisements